Sunday, September 7, 2008

Acoustic or Electronic Drums? You input is needed.

In a time where everything is going digital should drums and percussion follow suit? The more I listen and look at electronic drum kits, drum pads and drum triggers the more I am compelled to look at this option for my drumming needs. The idea of lighter weight, less bulk is drawing me closer to this idea.

Recently, I have looked at a few electronic Marimbas/Vibraphones and a few electronic drum kits. Since everything is MIDI based this means that real drum samples can be used for the voicings. I can have two mallet instruments for far less price by going electronic than the conventional instruments, saving thousands of dollars.

A decent 5+ octave Marimba alone goes for over $10,000.00. A good set of vibes over $3,000. Their electronic counterpart - under $3000.00.

As for a drum kit ... acoustic 5 piece drum kit for about $1000.00 plus stands and cymbals. It's electronic counterpart for under $1000.00 easily.

Even looking at the Yamaha DD-65 Drum Pad kit with 50 preset drum kit sounds and 5 programmable kit slots, 8 pads & 2 footswitches that can be upgraded to a kickpad and hi-hat tower. This setup, upgraded, would run about $400.00+.

As for aesthetics, the look is not what I'm after it's the sound and durability. With gas and all expenses going up it's not worth doing gigs anymore with so much equipment. Wanting to limit setup and teardown time to maximize my earnings.

So what do you think. Good idea? Or bad idea?

No comments: