Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Students are EXCITED with their drum lessons.

This past Friday's and Saturday's drum students had their lessons on the new Simmons SD5K Drum Kit for the first time. You should have seen the their reactions!!!

None of them wanted to leave!!! Even the two 6 yr. olds wanted to stay and practice more. Every student got lost in time because they were having so much fun learning. Each one thanked me for bringing in a drum set that is so much fun to play on.

We, as teachers, need to look at what keeps a student interested in learning. If you don't keep it exciting they leave quickly. I say to each teacher out there to evaluate what and how you teach. I say this as help to you if you are losing students or not getting more students. I have parents that drive 40 miles one way just to bring their child to lessons. WHY? Because that child begs to be at lessons.

I here some say that they won't start a student any younger than 9 or 10 years old. Why? Teaching styles may be a little different to each age group but I see better progress while they are younger. I don't worry about them learning to read yet at 6, 7 or 8. I can put that in once they start understanding spoken language and can spell decently.

If you want help to teaching younger students contact me and I'll be glad to help you with methods that work.

Kenneth "Ray" Sword Jr

No comments: